Thursday, August 18, 2011

jardain crochet coaster tutorial with guest rebecca of nook


you all know i have a love affair with knitting & sewing but i also adore crochet.  it's the one craft that often get's pushed aside for me though.  it's not that i love it less, or don't enjoy it as much, i just for some reason always have my knitting & sewing battling it out.  so in honor of throwing some crochet love your way i asked one of my good friends rebecca of the blog and shop "nook" to come give us a fun, easy and very fun tutorial on how to make one of my favorite crocheted things - coasters!

 for my birthday this year i got this lovely little package from becca filled with the coasters above, a mug cozy (you can buy these in her shop) and the fabric she used to wrap it!  how sweet is that!


rebecca is one of those people you meet who eats, sleeps and breathes knitting but she also crochets.  i mean seriously people, check out this blanket!!  LOVE!

she knits faster than anyone i know (her hands are like a speedy blur at our knit nights) and i know a lot of knitters. she also seems to have some strange knack for knitting in superhero style...she can be baking bread or making dinner - knitting, talking to me on the phone - knitting, i bet she even knits on the potty..lol. needless to say if there's a chance my bud can pick up her sticks she will.  she's got an adorable etsy shop filled with some of her handmade goodies, a pretty blog and if you live in my city (victoria, bc) she also teaches some pretty rad classes at the cloth castle.  check out her fall listings..where else can you take lessons for jane richmond's super stylish patterns?  plus you get to hang with rebecca and take it from me....she's super fun to be around.  i heart her.  she feeds me and makes me coffee....a lot.


so get those hooks & yarn out and get ready to whip up some jardain coasters!  happy hooking..lol...now let's hear from rebecca....



 i have been looking forward to being a part of versus for a long looooong time now. i'm so happy to be here, thanks so much for having me!


it is my honest opinion that a home can never have enough coasters, inside or out.... well... almost. meet jardain. these little cuties are so adorable, you'll wanna be sure to make a set... or two... ! it's enough to make your fav tea cup or mug or even mason jar of homemade smoothies exclaim "oh la la!" so quick, grab your hook and let's get started!


this is a great project even for the very beginner crocheter. and they make perfect gifts from house warming to stocking stuffers.. (eeks! already??) to just because... they're a fairly instant gratification project. i know what you're thinking... "sa-weeeet". yeah, i know.

so here's what you'll need:

4.0mm/US 6 hook
worsted weight yarn. ... each coaster really really doesn't take much, just use up some scraps for this little project.

directions:

with your crochet hook, loosely chain (ch) 4 stitches (st). then join with a slipped stitch (sl.st.) to the first ch to make a ring.

rnd 1: make 8 single crochet (sc) inside the ring. sl.st. in your first sc

rnd 2: ch.2. 2sc in the second ch. from hook and continue with 2sc in every stitch around. you have now doubled your stitch count to 16 sts. make a sl.st. in the first ch. of this round. ... in this way, you are basically crocheting a spiral. see?


rnd 3: ch.2. sc in second ch. from hook and in every st. around. sl.st in first ch. of round.

rnd 4: ch.2. 2sc in second ch. from hook and continue with 2sc in every ch. around. sl st. in 1st ch. (36 sts.)


rnd 5: ch.2. sc in second ch. from hook and in every ch. around. sl.st in 1st ch. of round.

rnd 6: ch.2. sc in second ch. from hook, sc, 2sc in next ch, *(sc, sc, 2sc)* repeat from * to * around until last ch. sc. join with sl st. to 1st ch. of round. 46 st. total.


rnd 7: ch.4 sl st. in 5th ch. from hook. *(ch4, skip 4st, sl st. in 5th ch)* repeat from * to * around until 6st remain. ch 4, sl st. in 3rd st from hook, ch4, sl st. in last st. of rnd. you will have created 10 loops.


rnd 8: 6dc in 1st loop space created. sl st. in previous rnd's sl. st. continue around in this manner. 6dc's in every loop space, with a sl. st. in between.


draw a knot through final loop. sew in ends.
and you're done!


see? easy peasy lemon squeezy. enjoy!


thanks so much for joining in on the fun here on versus rebecca!  i'm gonna go sip some tea out of my cozy mug sitting on my fave coaster :)  you can find more nook here:

*blog *etsy shop *facebook *pinterest *ravelry

do you love coastsers too?  what's your fave way to make them?  sewn, knitted or crocheted?  have a fave pattern you want to share? i'd love to hear about it!

34 comments:

  1. I need a beginner crochet session with Becca! These are a must make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jane Richmond I could help ya too. I heart crochet and it's super easy as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super pretty picture with the blue and aqua.

    ReplyDelete
  4. woooow! I really love those colours (last pic)!!! They inspirees me sooooooooooo much!!!
    great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! I love that pic too. Do you like it better than the first one at the top? For some reason I was drawn to the top one more, it seemed more real life, but maybe I should swap them if you guys all seem drawn to the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHHHHH !!!! loveeee!!! I love your tea pot!!! And both the top and bottom pics:):):) and I think I just might try the coasters!!! Sadly though reading patterns still feels like another language to me... I feel kinda lost reading it all!!! But I'll get there;) thx for this pretty post!!!!
    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray!! Thanks for posting a crochet tutorial :) We posted a link: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2011/08/crocheted-flower-coasters.html

    Thanks for sharing!
    Missy & Kimi
    if I could...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these and I've made 4 of them now, but my numbers don't match yours. After round 4 I have 32 stitches (as 16 x 2 stitched each =32)
    Then when I make my loops in round 7 I only end up with 9, not 10. Maybe I'm joining my rounds with the sl st in the wrong place... do you sl st into the first sc of that round or into the 1st ch of the initial ch.2 for that round?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! nook. here, i slip stitch into the first ch. of the initial ch. 2 of the round... so that would increase your st. number by a little. does that make sense? so wonderful that you've already made 4 of them! hrmm maybe we should start a flicker group of photo sharing for these coasters.. what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello :) Just found your blog via FPK. Thought I'd say hi, and that I totally empathise with the constant knitting/sewing battle. I have also just acquired a spinning wheel, so I think thats going to join in! Really nice blog x Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops, I commented before reading the About section... thats the whole point of the website! Well its a great premise, I shall be following :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much Samgoose! I'm glad you enjoy the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Easy peasy indeed and SUPER cute! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok so I'm very new to this (just started 3 days ago :)) So I'm doing this and it is creating a dome shape instead of being flat? What am I doing wrong?? I know it me cuz this is like the 3rd round thing I havr tried anf they are all turning into a dome :) Thanks for all the help :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Annie~~

    Hi Annie! the second round of the pattern is an increase round, so you've doubled your amount of stitches... that is what keeps the circle lying flat. are you remembering to 2sc in every stitch around? hope this helps you out.

    also, thanks to Anya! I hope you enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nook, thanks :) I was not increasing the second round kust learned how to do it :) YAY!! Thanks for this pattern I LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Annie~~

    you're very welcome annie! can't wait to see how they turn out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Nook, I like these a lot, and have tried two already, but I have the same problem as someone above (Anonymous) I end up with 32 stitches in round 4, and I added four increases around the next round to get the 36, but still didn't get 46 the next time for the loops. I end up with 9 1/2 loops, not room enough for all the dcs in the last loop. Any clue how to fix it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. @cyn

    hi cyn!one thing i can think of from the top of my head, is trying to join with your sl. stitch a stitch before you have been currently doing... that will add to the number of stitches during your rounds. does that make sense?
    just let me know, and i'll whip up some more and see where i think the problem is:)
    rebeccanook@gmail.com

    hope this helps out!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really liked the coasters! So, I whipped out my hook and yarn and stitched one up! Quick and easy to understand! Thank you.
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute coaster! Just made my first one and I love it. Haven't crocheted in decades but your little coaster inspired me to start again. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I couldn't get this pattern to work for me. I altered it by just doing continuous sc around without the chain 2. Also, in several places I think it says ch when it should say st.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the cute coaster pattern. I am making some for my friend's bday.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love them, once I got started I couldn't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi there! Your work is beautful, thank you for sharing. I have tried the coasters and I have checked myself over and over ... please could you look at round 7 ... it isn't possible to create 10 loops around if you only have 46 stitches ... unless I'm going mad!! Which is possible ;-) If you skip 4 ten times and you join with slip stitch ten times, that equals 50 ... please let me know if I'm loosing my mind?
    Thanks
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi amy :) if you look at the second half of rnd 7 it says to repeat "around until 6st remain. ch 4, sl st. in 3rd st from hook, ch4, sl st. in last st. of rnd. you will have created 10 loops." that will look after the last loop that you are missing :)
    hope that helps! looking forward to seeing your finished coaster!
    rebecca (nook)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi nook! Ioved the aqua coasters! You've inspired me to pick up my hook again and start a new project!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Could these be done with Sugar and Cream thread? They are really a great idea. You are right. Never can we have enough coasters!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi! What yarn did you use for these aqua colored two-toned coasters? They are beautiful and inspiring! Can't wait to make some :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the coasters, gonna make some... NOW! (just leave all my other projects unfinished..)
    Thanks both of you for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just made one of the coasters, sometimes I was confused and I'm not sure if I understood everything right... I had to redo it several times... I think it could be really helpfull if you add the numbers of stiches in EVERY round of your tutorial!
    But however, the coaster turned out to be very nice and cute, I will let you know when I upload it, haven't taken any picture yet.
    thx again!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I made one!! Great project for getting back into crocheting. I'm using spring colors to liven up the place. Off to make more coasters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I too only end up with 9 loops. when I follow your pattern the way I think it says, I end up with a pointy side where I join and ch 2. I can't figure it out. Too bad because yours are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you everyone for all of the lovely comments! It makes me so happy to see you all making these coasters! Carol, I don't know if you've read the previous comments? But Amy was having the same issue, of ending up with 9 loops... if you look at the second half of rnd 7 it says to repeat "around until 6st remain. ch 4, sl st. in 3rd st from hook, ch4, sl st. in last st. of rnd. you will have created 10 loops." that will look after the last loop that you are missing :)
    hope that helps! looking forward to seeing your finished coaster!
    rebecca (nook)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment - we love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...